Client : Chief Engineer Eastern Command, Indian Army
Launched : 2015
This Personnel Management Web App helps Chief Engineer Eastern Command manage all personnel processes for a very complex hierarchy of over 11000 personnel in Eastern Command MES organizations.
- Maintaining personnel data for civil and military officers, subordinates and staff.
- Run posting rules to identify the best man for the best job.
- Posting Process management, from inception to issue of Posting Orders.
- Retirements and Non-Effective personnel management.
- Management of IPRs (individual property returns).
- Management of Court Cases.
- Management of Pay Upgrades and MACPs
- Management of Temporary Duties, Union Appointments, RTIs and Penalties.
Chief Engineer Eastern Command needed an automated system for management of MES personnel – across a very complex hierarchy – MES & Civil officers, MES and Civil Subordinates, Industrial and Non-Industrial Staff. Key requirements were:
- A Quantified rules bases Decision Support System to generate MES Subordinates postings.
- Handling all personnel management tasks – posting, promotions, dues in and out, Annual Reports, Court Cases, RTIs, TDs, Union Appointments, Penalties.
- Postings Orders, Personnel / Unit Reports can be generated.
- A query generator to create and run complex queries for data base searches.
The Project was extremely complex, due to a very large number of Rules and Roles across Departments. The Project spanned an year and a half and included:
- Extensive visits both by the Client and by development team to finalize requirements.
- Balsamiq mockups with over 500 frames were shared with the client to finalize details.
- Poker Planning, Agile methodology with daily standups, sprints and retrospectives were conducted.
- Test Driven Development was conducted.
- Code and Progress of work were shared with Client on Git and Trac respectively.
- Daily interactions were held with the Client, to ensure maximum communication.
- Deployment and training visits were conducted to train User staff on the application.
- Technology : Ruby
- Platform : Rails
- Database : Postgres
- Deployment & Testing : Cucumber, Selenium, Capybara, rSpec and Jmeter.
- Support Tools : RubyMine, Git and Trac
- Use of rails to configure and run complex rules: This allows the system to handling complex posting rules and keeping them totally configurable. This makes the solution future proof.
- A Query Generator to provide complex queries configurable by the User.
- A quantum shift from manual data management to automation of most personnel processes.
- Different departments manage different categories of personnel and functions – while the system enforces data integrity through a 100%, searchable audit log.
- Posting processes which earlier took weeks now take only minutes to execute.
- Users can now run complex search queries to extract all kinds of data.